Amid a crisis there rises the independent business who, in uncertain times, plough on in the pursuit of putting a smile on their buyers face. From my own experience, as a buyer and a seller, there is no greater joy than knowing that someone either a) loves what you’ve made or b) wearing what you’ve bought with the full knowledge that it is made ethically and with love. The small business population is becoming increasingly populated with student-run brands; working hard alongside their degree to curate some businesses worth noting. Self-isolation doesn’t have to look drab and there may be a few special finds…
With a gap-yah vibe inspired by travels, Moa Jewellery is a brand based at the University of St. Andrews. With custom designs and plenty of beautiful bits to choose from; it’s not surprising that they are a student brand worth supporting. They donate 10% of profits to various global charities; making a purchase goes that extra distance in terms of sustainability.
Ever since seeing one of my friends wear some earrings from Han Makes, I have been lusting over them. Although I’ve yet to actually purchase a pair, of which I will be doing so after the next payday, I admire the Leeds based brand so much. My particular favourites have to be the three-tier flowers; which would make a delightful addition to my earring wardrobe now we’re breathing in the spring air.
Mind Your Head
Mind Your Head is a beautiful student-run brand based in Newcastle, selling handmade headwear from locally sourced and upcycled material. All profits go to an Indian mental health project called SLV Global which is just remarkable and all the more reason to support Mind Your Head. I recently did a swap with the owner, Lauren, so you will be seeing the items on my Instagram (both @eleanorclaudie and @feltfancy) soon.
Founded in 2018, Loopy London is an accessories brand based in Edinburgh, Durham and London. I would be lying if I said there was one item of jewellery I didn’t like. Their designs are so fun, bold and you can request bespoke designs.
Demoo is a sustainable, student brand based in London selling custom jeans and headbands. All the jeans sourced are second-hand; the extra addition of the ribbon makes them all the more special.
A few other brands to peruse:
- Midsummer Solstice – based in Exeter, Midsummer Solstice sell incredibly gorgeous earrings made by a lovely gal to boot.
- Mamba – Mamba sells 100% plastic-free earrings using glass beads, inspired by African designs.
- Handmade Forever – Hannah makes such lovely handmade jewellery and crochet pieces.
- Ooh Rah Rah – a brand selling custom made bands and jeans based at Leeds University.
- Felt Fancy – plug of my own brand, even though I’m not, at this point in time, a student (up until September that is).
- Alula Collection – A jewellery brand run by Ellea, a student at Brighton University. Her jewellery is so fun and all about building the perfect ensemble for you as an individual – very sweet.
Let me know if you come across any other student-run brands and I shall, of course, add them to the list, I would love this post to be a handy resource for your jewellery, clothing or accessory needs that are fun, funky and of course run by students 🙂
Lots of love, eleanor xx